Gathered Cream Mathilde

Here she is folks! My version of Tilly’s Mathilde Blouse.  I used some lovely cream cotton from my shopping spree the other week, which has a gorgeous drape to it, just perfect for a blouse. IMG_8854

I’m not so keen on the pin-tucks in the original pattern, so I went with the gathered bodice hack from her website. Construction was pretty simple; the pattern comes with lots of photos for each step and there’s also tutorials on the website if you get stuck, which I did briefly with the button placket at the back. Happily her blog tutorial got me on the right track and I didn’t have any further problems. One thing that was a bit confusing was that the material used on the blog tutorial had no obvious right and wrong side. It was fairly clear what was going on in most cases, but left me scratching my head a couple of times.

IMG_8839IMG_8841

As you can see, the sleeves are on the long side, so I might shorten them if I find the time. I’ll happily wear them as they are, especially because I have tended to just push them up, but they would probably look a bit less weird if they decided whether to be a full sleeve or a three-quarter length.

IMG_8838When I finished the whole thing and put it on for the first time I felt a bit like I was in a tent – I had forgotten that using gathers instead of pin-tucks meant all that extra fabric would be around my hips! I ended up taking in the side seam quite a bit so that I wasn’t swamped in fabric. I feel like it’s still a bit billowy, but I’ll probably wear it mostly tucked into skirts, where that won’t matter so much. I took in the cuffs quite a bit as well. Maybe I actually need to go down a size next time?

IMG_8852

So I used self-fabric interfacing throughout this garment.  I thought it would be nicer to retain the transparency of the material and also give the interfaced parts a nicer texture. Oh, and I ran out of interfacing 😉 Does that make me a terrible person? I was worried it would, but I did a bit of googling and it turns out it’s a vintage technique and definitely not lazy… Anyway, I really like how it looks and feels, I sometimes find interfacing a bit ‘crispy’. Just me? Anyone else tried self-fabric interfacing? Anything it really doesn’t work on that I shouldn’t try?

IMG_8843

And here are the buttons! I didn’t want anything too busy and these buttons are perfect. The gold rims look lovely next to the cream fabric and the black really makes them pop out from the rest of the blouse. I love buttons in pretty much any place on a garment (haven’t tried all over yet, maybe I should give it a go…), but buttoning up the back has to be one of my favourites. The back of your clothes normally don’t get as much love, so it’s fun to spice it up a bit!

IMG_8861 IMG_8862All in all I’m pretty pleased with this blouse. It’s mostly sewn with french seams (instructions included in the pattern), so it looks pretty good from the inside too. Plus it means I can wear trousers for Me-Made-May now! Oh yeah, speaking of MMM, I’m afraid I fell off the photo bandwagon pretty quickly – the boyfriend was away and the photos I attempted to take in the mirror were pretty terrible. I’m still very proudly wearing my me-mades though and to be honest I already showed you nearly all my outfits last week, so I’m probably saving you from me-made boredom. And terrible photos. I’ll do a round-up at some point though and include any outfits that didn’t make it into week 1.

Leave a Reply