I made a purse! I needed a purse, so I made a purse. Isn’t that an awesome thing to be able to say?
The pattern I used is the Greenbacks Wallet by Sew Sweetness, which comes with pattern and instructions for three different wallets. I used version three for mine, which has card slots, a zipped coin purse and accordion sides to stop it flopping open. The instructions were pretty clear and contained photos for the trickier parts. It was definitely the nicest wallet I found when I was looking around, a lot of the patterns didn’t seem that practical, so I would recommend this one if you want a workhorse in your handbag.
It all went together pretty easily, though it gets tricker once the accordion has gone in because nothing will lie flat anymore, so the last few steps including the main zip are a little fiddly. The pattern calls for bias binding around the edge to finish the purse, but I thought this would detract from the vintage look I was going for, so I instead pressed the seam allowances of the gold fabric and pinned it in place before hand sewing it all the way around the edge. I think this was a good solution and looks pretty neat, though there are a couple of places where the frayed edges of the gold fabric have popped their little heads out. Nevermind, proves it’s homemade, right?
The green spotty fabric is a quilting cotton from my stash. The purple is a japanese cotton, which I’ll tell you more about very soon. The gold fabric was kindly donated by Ben’s grandma when she was doing a clear out. I’m not sure what it is, something synthetic and it frays like nothing else, but it’s gold and shiny, so it’s worth the extra effort, right?!
What needs changing?
This pattern is all about interfacing. I applied lightweight interfacing to all the inner pieces, heavy to the main lining piece and fleece to the outer shell. The pattern called for a foam rather than a fleece, but I couldn’t find any, so used the next best thing. I think it’s okay, but foam would probably have been a bit less flimsy. I might even try putting some card inside the outer shell as well. I would probably also go up to medium weight interfacing for the card slots next time – I’m not sure the lightweight is enough, especially on the side for notes where it had a tendency to gape a little. This gaping also means the interfacing is visible since the card slots are not lined with your patterned fabric. I think next time I will double over the card slot pieces to make the inside as pretty as the outside. Well, I wanted to learn about interfacing and I’ve tried a lot of different types now, so hopefully my next structured make will have a bit more, well, structure!
Lastly, I think I had my concealed zip hat on when I was sewing this, so I sewed very close to the zip teeth. This means the zips sometimes catch and need some encouragement to open (let’s call it a security feature). Pulling the zips open and closed a few times has loosened it up, but it’s something I’ll look out for in future.
I’m really pleased with the overall look. The colours work well together and give the purse a nice vintage feel. The card slots are the right size for my cards and there’s plenty of them. I would definitely recommend the Greenbacks Wallet! It’s nice to try a project that has no fitting issues for once and it has pretty much all straight seams until you’ve inserted the accordion, so it sews up in no time.