“I, Bonnie of Summer Sun Bear sign up as a participant of Me Made May ’15. I endeavour to wear one me-made item per day for the duration of May 2015.”
I’m looking forward to challenging myself and hoping that the holes in my wardrobe will spur me on to make some new stuff. I’ve listed the finished items I have below, but I also have a couple of things in the pipeline. Not all of them have been blogged yet, so you’ll have to guess what they look like 😉
Tana Lawn Flower Skirt
Black Patterned Top
So this weekend I had a proper sewing session with my good friend Becca. We went to the fabric shop and spent loads of money (if you’re in the Oxford area, you have to check out Masons – they have not one, but THREE shops!), then came back to mine and got out both sewing machines. Becca was the person who first taught me to use a sewing machine but she’s never made clothes before, so the teacher became the student and I helped her make a toile for her first dress.
The pattern was 1800 by Simplicity and had lots of variations including 3 styles, 3 hip sizes, cup sizes from B to DD AND the usual sizes as well, which was quite scary to wade through! After a small amount of panicking and some guesswork, we cut out a toile in swedish tracing paper – my first experience with this new purchase and I’m suitably impressed, plus I got a discount courtesy of Tilly (thanks Tilly!).
Anyway, despite all the scary variations, the toile was a great fit! It only needed a small bit taking in at the top of the princess seams. Pretty good for a first attempt, don’t you think? I’m looking forward to seeing how it looks. And then borrowing the pattern 😉
While Becca was sewing away at the toile, I was sewing up my very first Moneta! I’ve never made anything in knit fabric before, so I was very excited to be making this – jersey fabric is just so comfy to wear and this coral pattern is gorgeous. It was also my first try at a Colette pattern (lots of firsts this weekend) and I am now in love with their patterns! They have so many handy tips on their blog, which were invaluable, especially when it came to the clear elastic at the waistband and the hems.
Jersey fabric turned out not to be TOO scary to sew with, but I still had a few issues with the neckline stretching out even though I used the IDT system on my sewing machine. I’m hoping a twin needle will reduce this problem next time. The stretchy fabric was obviously a lot more forgiving in the fit department, which was a welcome change, although there was still a little bunching at the back, a common problem I have, so I’ll shorten the back a little next time.
All in all though, I’m super pleased with this dress! It’s a great cheery colour to welcome the summer. Can’t wait to buy more knit fabric so I can make another Moneta and banish the wrinkly necklines for good! I’m planning on making it with the three-quarter length sleeves next time.
One thing I do need to work on is getting better pictures of myself. It’s so hard to get yourself in focus and crop the picture right with a self timer! That will have to be my blog homework.